SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS IN ZONING COMMISSION AND BOARD OF ZONING ADJUSTMENT CASES
The method you use to submit documents in a Zoning Commission (ZC) or Board of Zoning Adjustment (BZA) case depends on how the case was initiated. If the application or appeal was initiated electronically using the Interactive Zoning Information System (IZIS), which includes all Planned Unit Development (PUD), contested Map Amendment, PUD Modifications Air Space Development and Appeal cases filed after February 2012, you should submit your documents using IZIS. All other cases, including Rulemaking (Text and Map Amendment), Time Extension of a PUD, Minor Modification of a PUD, Special Exception, Variance or a Campus Plan, you can file your submission via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, provided your document fits the criteria outlined in the email submission policy guidelines.
The best way to determine how you should file your documents is to use the Zoning Case Search tool.
- Type the case number in the search engine
- Click on "View Details" next to the corresponding case
- In the "Case Information" if the "Case Status" is "Active", you will see a box detailing the method that should be used to file your document(s)
To file a document through IZIS:
- Go to the Office of Zoning website, www.dcoz.dc.gov
- Click the link "File and Manage Cases Online" in the right sidebar
- Create an IZIS account and password. You must have an online account to submit documents into IZIS
- Once you are logged in click the link "File Documents in an Existing Case"
- Enter the case number
- Upload documents into IZIS (The file size may not exceed 8MB and must be in PDF format)
The submission policy for those wishing to e-mail case related documents is as follows:
- No new applications may be filed by email
- All documents must be signed by the originator and attached to the email as a PDF file
- Only PDF documents of 10 pages or less will be accepted
- Submissions received after 3:00 p.m. will be dated and processed the next business day
- Documents that contain color will be reproduced in black and white
- Case Number and Case Name must be in the subject line of the e-mail (i.e. BZA No. 16358; First Sussex Investment Corporation)
If your submission does not meet the above parameters, please send it by US Mail, facsimile, or hand-delivery.
Emailed submissions may only be sent to one of the following addresses, as is applicable:
- Zoning Commission submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Board of Zoning Adjustment submissions should be sent to email@example.com
Should you have any questions or comments, please contact the Office of Zoning at 202-727-6311, or firstname.lastname@example.org.