Rules for Issuing Zoning Certification
These following rules apply to requests for zoning certification applicable to individual properties in the District of Columbia:
- All requests should be in writing, addressed to the Director, Office of Zoning, and shall include the name and address of the person making the request, the square and lot numbers of the property and the address of the property.
- All requests should be accompanied by two copies of a plat map of the property prepared by the DC Surveyor or by an architect or engineer registered in the District of Columbia. The plat should show all lot lines of the lot and indicate distance of the corners of the lot from the nearest street intersection in all directions, and the plat must be no larger than 11” x 17”.
- All requests should be accompanied by a fee of $50.00 payable by check or money order to the DC Treasurer.
- The Director of the Office of Zoning has the option to request additional information from the person requesting the certification so as to clarify the location of the lot, the dimensions of the lot or the location of any improvements thereon.
- The certification will bear the Director's certification of the zoning district which the official records of the Zoning Commission show as applicable to the particular lot and square.
- The Director of the Office of Zoning may waive any portion of these rules for good cause shown.
The rules are effective as of May 20, 1994. Requests for certification should be addressed to:
Director, Office of Zoning
441 4th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Call the Office of Zoning at (202) 727-6311 for further information.